Alaska to Argentina: Driving the Pan American Highway
We are attempting to drive from Alaska to Argentina while helping people along the way. After selling all of our possessions, our budget is only $25,000. We could only afford a truck camper with nearly 500,000 miles. And we are also traveling with Crohn’s Disease. But we believe that our optimism will overcome these obstacles and more as we travel to make the world a better place!
In 2016 we had the vision to drive the Pan American Highway from Alaska to Argentina. At the time we were fostering 8 children. We owned a 40-year old fixer-upper sailboat. And we knew very little, if anything, about what the journey would entail. But we were inspired by the idea that one day we might hit the road to attempt to complete such an ambitious adventure.
We have always been inspired by adventure and those who have gone before us in exploring the world. So we made changes to our lifestyle and began planning the possibility of the trip.
We saved very aggressively. From time to time we worked extra jobs and found other ways to make a little money here and there. Toward the very end we sold everything that we could sell.
In spring 2018 we hit the road. We wandered a meandering route from our home in Florida to the start of the Pan American Highway in Alaska. This journey in itself covered twenty states, three Canadian provinces and over 10,000 miles. It proved to be both exciting and educational.
Serving Others On Our Wander from Alaska to Argentina
As we drive the Pan American Highway we actively seek ways to connect with people that we can help in some simple, yet meaningful way.
- Met a young couple determined to start a family and save a life through embryo adoption
- Followed a super hero of a man as he brought smiles to sick children in the hospital
- Picked cherries to donate the proceeds to migrant families in need
- Helped a couple fix their RV so they could make a long trip home
- Cleaned a portion of the streets of Las Vegas when nobody else would
- Brought hope and a meal to homeless people in various states
- Provided and shared a meal with a hardworking and humble couple
- Found joy in both giving and receiving blessings
- Assisted a young man to safety from the side of the highway
- Completed spring cleaning for a family fostering multiple children
Unique Experiences As We Drive the Pan American Highway
As we have traveled we have been able to experience some pretty amazing things. We…
- Visited the home of the Delta Blues and spent time with the last Delta Blues Disc Jockey.
- Drove Route 66 from Missouri to Arizona
- Stumbled into the beauty of Palo Duro state park in Texas
- Witnessed sunrise and sunset from the rim of the Grand Canyon
- Made our way through all 5 National Parks in Utah
- Camped in the most beautiful small town in Colorado
- Ran wild among the wild horses of Sand Wash Basin
- Met the famous highlights of the National Parks of Yellowstone and Grand Teton
- Played among the waterfalls and sand dunes of Idaho
- Found rest in the lush, green forests of the Willamet Valley in Oregon
Travel With Purpose
We believe that everyone should travel with purpose and hope that you will engage with us on Instagram and Facebook as we drive the Pan American Highway! Also sign up for our newsletter to receive the most recent stories and updates from our journey!
Please make sure to enjoy the wonderful photographs we’ve taken, read the many great stories we’ve experienced and take advantage of the travel tips and resources we have accumulated while on the road!
We are sure to add to these as we attempt to drive the Pan American Highway from Alaska to Argentina!
Like what you’ve read on our site? Please consider DONATING to help us continue to help everyone we can as we travel!